Friday, January 22, 2010

Got books? I DO!

Just a little update on school and the craziness that is my life. I got so much done last night and I have a huge sense of accomplishment today. I went to school right after work which was 3:30. The earlier time made it much easier to get information. First I went to financial aid to verify that the only thing I am waiting on is for them to review my transcripts. After that I can complete my financial aid paperwork. There should be no issue with funds just the question of them letting me have credit for my 1 class from years ago. If there is money left over from my grant for books I will be reimbursed for what I paid out of pocket. The financial aid secretary was awesome at explaining things and there are so few people like her these days I was extremely grateful. She suggested I apply for a $100 scholarship to help with books so I did and I GOT IT! My books would have been $250 but instead I paid $150. This very helpful secretary also pointed out that I was being charged out-of-district fees for classes taking more fund from my grant and therefore leaving me saddled with the cost of books. I went to registration and found that the issue was that I originally applied for school from CL's address in another county. I explained that I lived there briefly (I might have fudged the time-line) but prior to that I did live in the school district for 5 years or longer. Thankfully my license, checks and just about everything shows that old address so she copied my license and check for proof and adjusted my tuition accordingly. It was almost a $400 difference! Hopefully with that change I will have enough left over for books to be reimbursed.

I also found out from this very helpful woman that my pell grant was issued for the year, not the semester. So the amount I was given was broken in half to pay for both semesters. This means that next semester will also be free! That was the best news EVER! I went to the bookstore and got my books. I have one class that will not start until April so I did not get that book yet as hopefully my grant funds will come through soon and I can buy it with my left over money. I am also wondering if there is anything left over from my grant, where does that money go? Could I use it for summer classes? That is on my list of my next batch of questions. I start classes tomorrow morning at 8! I still have to work out financial aid but I am confident after talking to the best secretary ever that all will be ok.

After school last night I went to get my oil changed, picked up a prescription and got dinner before going home to watch my Thursday shows. I love Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice! I felt really good that I got so much done and I am looking forward to tomorrow. This is the first step towards a brighter future and I absolutely cannot wait!

5 comments:

  1. Yay, yay and yay!!!! Isn't it so amazing how one person's attitude and willingness to help can make all the difference?
    I think grant money can be applied somehow, but I'm not sure. 2 semesters free is awesome! I bet you are really going to enjoy that program. And Criminal Justice can be taken in lots of different directions. Congrats, T! I can't wait to hear how the first day goes. I remember the first day of class was always syllabus day, but since your class is excellerated I bet you will do a lot. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, girl! I am super excited. I will definitely blog on my first day experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Things are taking a turn for the best and I'm happy for you! Good luck tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good things happen to good people! Can't wait to read your posts about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First class down and it was fantastic! Thanks for all of your support girls. I already know this is one of the best decisions of my life! I will do a full update soon;-)

    ReplyDelete