Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

I have been waiting to write this post because things have been so up in the air. I started my quest to go back to school about 2 months ago. I applied for and was awarded a grant. I applied for school. I submitted my transcripts. This has all been a slow process with not great communication from the school but I am dealing with it. Early this month I finally decided on a major. It took a lot of soul searching and talking with friends but I have decided on Criminal Justice. The goal is to work as an advocate for kids. I thought about a Human Services degree but that is more for social work and I honestly cannot see myself doing that. I have definitely decided not to do the court reporting program because although it would be a good career and pay well it just doesn’t satisfy all of my needs for a job. I went to school 2 weeks ago to change my major and register for classes. I was informed at that time that my high school transcripts were not the correct form. Again, I had to resend the proper information and wait for them to get back to me. I went back to school after my high school transcripts were in to register for classes. I was informed that they also needed a transcript from the local community college where I took 1 class 13 years ago while in high school. They had not mentioned this before when talking transcripts so I was frustrated. We are now less than 2 weeks from my classes starting. I.broke.down.crying! I have this annoying habit of flipping my lid or crying when my stress level goes off the chart. Neither is attractive behavior but I preferred to cry to my school advisor than to tell her what a bunch of incompetent fucktards work for this-here higher learning institution. They do at least let me register for my classes at this point so my spot is held. It could have been the tears but who can be sure?

I contacted the other college and they were in their first week of classes. The records woman suggested I submit my request via fax and said she would mail it the next day. I could pick it up but she had a line down the hall so it would take some time and I would wait hours at my own school to submit it as well. I did as she asked and sent the fax. She mailed the transcript last Friday. Monday was MLK Day and school was close plus no mail. Tuesday they didn’t have it yet. It might be in their huge pile of mail but no one knows. I am starting to think I should have taken a day off work, drove to the old school, waited hours, drove back to my school, waited more hours. It is neither really here nor there at this point. Yesterday (Wednesday) I finally get word that they have my transcript. I immediately plan to hightail it up to school after work at 6pm (of course it’s my 1 late night that they get it) to finish up my financial aid and get my books for my class starting in 3 days. I get to advising. I wait another hour and a half for them to tell me that I actually have to fill out a Request to View Transcripts. My advisor has to sign off, then I turn that in to registration and they will let me know via mail, snail mail. Can you feel my blood starting to boil? This has not been an easy process for 1 second. I am dumbfounded but I take the damn request to registration and the woman informs me I will get a response in the mail. I tell her that I am supposed to start classes Saturday. What do I do about financial aid? What about books? Can I even start? She says, “I don’t know, Chile, I just take your forms”. Fuck, fuck, fuck!

I called financial aid this morning after having a come-to-Jesus with myself last night. If I can’t start school this semester it was not meant to be. I have a grant now that I won’t have later but free or not; I want an education. If I can’t start this semester I will apply for summer, get a 2nd job and chill. I was literally starting to go mad so this little talk with myself was necessary. I spoke to financial aid this morning. I applied for an extension on financial aid funds. I can attend class Saturday. I have to purchase my books and wait for reimbursement but it that is the worst of the news, I will take it! I am so relieved but also freaking out a little now. If for some reason my financial aid does not come through they will take ½ of my tuition out of my account by February 5th. It’s not there so let’s hope all goes well with financial aid. LOL (if I don’t laugh I might just cry!)I am a college student! I don’t feel official as I don’t have a student ID yet but I am official. This is all very exciting (pending funds;-)).

My schedule this semester will be light as it is my first time in a classroom in 13, almost 14 years. Damn, that makes me seem really old. My classes are on Saturday. I am taking College Comp 1 and 2 as accelerated courses. Class is from 8-12 every Saturday. The first 2 months of the semester is Comp 1 the 2nd 2 months is Comp 2. That knocks out 6 credit hours. I am also taking Communication from 12:30-3pm on Saturday for a total of 9 credit hours. It will make for a long week but my evenings and Sundays will be free for homework. Plus I won’t have to rush around after work to get home and let the dog out. Some of the week night classes are almost 4 hours as well but they aren’t accelerated. Or I can go 2 nights a week for an hour and a half but that seems stupid. I like the idea of knocking it all out in one day. I am going to go back up there tonight to purchase my books and check in with financial aid at least. I never know if the people I am talking to are giving me correct information so it is always good to speak to more than 1 person. I am unsure if they will let me use my 1 class from years ago. It was psychology which I am required to take for my major so it would be nice to skip it as I took it in high school and college already but we will see. I am super stoked. I know this is not going to be the easiest road but I am looking forward to getting started. I am excited to learn for the first time in a very long time so wish me luck! I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I am so happy for you! Hopefully everything will all work out with financial aid. You could maybe go back to the FA office after the new year settles down a bit to make sure things are on track.
    It sounds busy, but at least it's only one day. And I bet they will accept that Psychology class. Yay for you and school!!!

    ReplyDelete